U2 has broken the all time U.S. attendance record for best-attended single concert performance. They packed 97,014 people into the Rose Bowl on October 25. What's even more astounding is the fact that the previous record was made by... U2
It took 22 years, but U2 has broken its own attendance record.
Among the top five single-concert attendances on record in the U.S., the top three are all U2 performances. The third-highest attendance is also from the band's current tour at its September 29 sellout in Landover, Maryland with 84,754 people crowding the stadium.
Just for fun, here are the stats on top attendance and sales for US concerts:
TOP ATTENDANCE AT A U.S. CONCERT BY A SINGLE HEADLINER:
1. U2 - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, Calif. (October 25, 2009) Attendance: 97,014 Gross: $9,960,036
2. U2 - John F. Kennedy Stadium, Philadelphia (September 25, 1987) Attendance: 86,145 Gross: $1,593,683
3. U2 - FedExField; Landover, Md. (September 29, 2009) Attendance: 84,754 Gross: $6,718,315
4. Pink Floyd - Ohio State University Stadium; Columbus, Ohio (May 29, 1994) Attendance: 75,250 Gross: $2,406,920
5. Backstreet Boys - Georgia Dome, Atlanta (February 19, 2000) Attendance: 73,337 Gross: $2,787,098
TOP GROSS AT A U.S. CONCERT BY A SINGLE HEADLINER:
1. The Three Tenors - Giants Stadium; East Rutherford, N.J. (July 20, 1996) Gross: $13,404,350 Attendance: 58,491
2. U2 - Rose Bowl; Pasadena, Calif. (October 25, 2009) Gross: $9,960,036 Attendance: 97,014
3. The Rolling Stones - Giants Stadium; East Rutherford, N.J. (September 15, 2005) Gross: $8,692,788 Attendance: 59,184
4. The Rolling Stones - Radio City Music Hall, New York (March 14, 2006) Gross: $8,625,590 Attendance: 5,800
5. The Rolling Stones - Soldier Field, Chicago (September 10, 2005) Gross: $7,231,427 Attendance: 55,046
That is some pretty damn good company to keep that is for sure. Although the Three Tenors are number one? That's wild. In Europe I would understand it more, but I didn't think opera carried that much weight here. Damn.
Still, congrats to U2 for still delivering the goods.
Copyright Â© 2009 411mania.com, LLC. All rights reserved.