Edge Chats on MSN

| No Comments

Session Start: Sun Aug 10 22:04:10 1997
[22:04] *** Now talking in #U2_Auditorium
[22:04] Hello everyone - welcome to our MSN chat with the
Edge! We'll be starting in just a couple of minutes. Remember,
we'll be
showing the answers here in this room, and you'll need to
[22:04] enter the question room (on your left in the web
page,
otherwise known as #U2_Questions).
[22:04] Hello everyone - welcome to our MSN chat with the
Edge!
[22:05] Are you going to put out a live album or video from
the
tour?
[22:05] We have no plans for an album as yet...we are putting
together some live tracks that will probably be released with te next
single...
[22:05] as one or two CD's we're putting out.
[22:05] There's no video planned, but we might try to do
something on TV at the end of te tour
[22:06] It will probably be a broadcast on TV.
[22:06] *** Tonster is now known as Edge
[22:06] tiempo says:
[22:06] Edge: Are you going to make a different setlist to
places where you hadn't been. (South America, South Africa, etc ) ?
We'd
like you to play some oldies too.
[22:06] The intention would be to try to change things around..
[22:06] do a few songs that we haven't been to before.
[22:06] GA
[22:06] Aingeal says:
[22:06] Question: Does your love/need to play live ever
influence or even interfere with what happens in the studio? do you
ever
look at a song and wonder. 'how are we going to do this live?' would
you
ever alter a song solely for the reason of making it easier to
recreate on
stage?
[22:07] We change songs alot when we're playing them live -
almost
every song is rearranged for live because
[22:07] it demands a differnet approach
[22:07] some songs, that becomes more changes,
[22:07] other songs, like Staring at the Sun, we stripped back to
acoustic guitars and 2 voices.
[22:07] I think that pure acoustic arrangements have a place on a
record,
[22:07] Are you going to do more acoustic stuff on the
album
or further on the tour?
[22:07] but I have a feeling that for us, if we were to go into
an
acousic arrangement it would be for an enitre record.
[22:08] We're interested in it, but it's something that we want
to
explore fully.
[22:08] pix says:
[22:08] Question: what's the next step after Surrealism and
Pop Art ?
[22:08] I think that it's too soon to say where we're going next
- it
seems that music, like art, is starting to look back on itself.
[22:08] The 90's have turned into a post modern period for music,
and we're going to try to go where it leads us.
[22:09] U2AB says:
[22:09] Edge.. :) Do you find it difficult composing songs
on
the road? Are you working out any new songs now, like you did on
Zooropa?
[22:09] We're working on new songs all the time....
[22:09] any days off, I take up the guitar and use whatever time
off I
have to work on some songs in hotel rooms.
[22:09] GA
[22:09] Reno`` says:
[22:09] Hi Mr.Edge, this PopMart Tour seems to have an
exuberant, well thought out theme, and yet I think its essence goes
above
people's head, so what exactly is PopMart?
[22:09] Popmart is just our way of making sense of playing in big
open air stadiums -it's a big show and it's really a setting as much
as it a
theme for the concert.
[22:10] IT's trying to be humorous about the position we find
ourselves in as a big band playing big stadiums...
[22:10] we don't want to make the mistake of taking our position
too
seriously.
[22:10] We take the music seriously, but we're able to laugh at
the
sheer commerical size of what we're undertaking.
[22:10] MaryG says:
[22:10] how do you feel about fans putting your copyrighted
material on their web pages??
[22:11] I don't have a problem with music being on the internet,
as
long as it's not resold because I don't believe that music on the
internet is
bad for music...
[22:11] I think it's okay for music.
[22:11] To me, it's a bit like when cassette tapes were first
made
available, the music industry thought that blank tapes would
[22:11] destroy the business because people would be at home
churning out copies for their friends.
[22:11] It never happened.
[22:11] *** Jabba is now known as JabbaD
[22:11] I think music on the internet is going to work out as
just
another place for people to discover new things.
[22:12] Host Kirsten says:
[22:12] what's the U2-Willie Nelson relationship?
[22:12] We recorded a track with Willie Nelson that Bono and I
recorded a few years ago, called Slow Dancing.
[22:12] He was in Dublin making a film and he walked into the
studio.
[22:12] We just cut the song, it took 2 hours to record, but at
the
right time for the right project, it'll come up.
[22:13] sun says:
[22:13] cAN we expect you will do again more small
stadiums?
Edge?
[22:13] We're happy playing big venues right now because we've
taken on that challenge.
[22:13] I do like playing smaller arenas and maybe for the next
tour
we'll play smaller venues.
[22:14] Are we going to hear "Van Diemen's Land" in Dublin?
[22:14] *** Grok sets mode: +o Grok
[22:15] Mirrorball says:
[22:15] Edge: were you and the guys shocked by William
Burrough's
death?
[22:15] I was very surprised and saddened by his death - he
seemed so full of
light when we met him for the Last Night on Earth video.
[22:15] We'd met him before and he was always incredibly funny
and smart and
sharp and if I was half as bright as he was at his age, I'd be very
happy.
[22:16] Aingeal says:
[22:16] Edge you have said in past interviews that you
won't play a song
like "Bad" live because you feel it has been played too much over the
last fifteen
years. The same could be said for Pride, yet you ARE playing
it...why?
[22:16] All the songs we're playing in the show are songs that we
feel we can
make sense of in this tour, in Popmart.
[22:16] I wouldn't rule any old song out, I feel we can play any
of our old songs,
bur we've chosen the ones we have because they work - they make
sense.
[22:16] brii whispers to Kirsten:
[22:16] Edge - does anyone on the crew/in the band ever
read wire?
Have you figured out what it IS yet? ANd if so, what do you think of
it?
[22:16] I haven't read it recently.
[22:17] MsTheEdge says:
[22:17] QUESTION: Do you use the internet on your own time
for personal
purposes?
[22:17] Occassionally, but mostly just for email and what have
you.
[22:17] Eric says:
[22:17] Why haven't ya'll played any Zooropa tunes on your
tour yet and
do you plan on putting any Zooropa tunes on the tour in the future?
[22:17] We might well, we haven't made a decision not to, it's
just we found
ourselves leaning towards other tunes.
[22:18] We don't think about what album something's come from, we
just figure
out if it's going to make sense in the context of what we're doing.
[22:18] bonowannabe says:
[22:18] Please tell us about the oh so Spinal Tap moment
when the
Lemon wouldn't open!
[22:18] *** JabbaD is now known as Jabba
[22:18] *** drizzy is now known as socruel
[22:18] *** ^BadCop^ is now known as ^BaadCop^
[22:18] It's just funny for us - we knew that there was a chance
that it would
happen at some point on the tour.
[22:18] When it finally did, we couldn't stop laughing.
[22:18] *** Elmira is now known as WoodNymph
[22:18] Delaware_usa says:
[22:18] QUESTION- Edge if you could have personally
witnessed one
event in history, what would you want to have seen?
[22:19] I'm happy living right now and seeing what I'm seeing - I
wouldn't have
liked to have lived at any other time.
[22:19] RENZO says:
[22:19] EDGE-Will there ever be another U2 movie ala Rattle
and Hum
[22:19] I don't think we're going to do another movie in a hurry

[22:19] Mr_Jetlag says:
[22:19] Do you find after a tour when you hear the opening
song on the
radio you get a tinggle like you're about to go on stage
[22:19] Yeah - it's a strange sensation. You've heard of Pavlov's
[22:20] What do you think of Sojourner - the Mars Probe
[22:20] I'm all in favor of Mars, I think Mars is a fantastic
idea.
[22:20] ParadiseCowgirl says:
[22:20] edge, what's one of your favorite songs to perform
live right now?
(asking for someone who can't be here now)
[22:20] Right now, Please, because we're having a lot of fun
playing different
arrangement ideas.
[22:21] Severian says:
[22:21] QUESTION : What do you think of bootlegged
concerts?
[22:21] I have no problems with bootlegs, I think, again, if
people make
recordings and give them to fhier friends - as long as people don't
get ripped off.
[22:21] Boogaloo says:
[22:21] what happend to your Gibson Explorer?
[22:21] It's actually just on a long vacation, but it's still
around.
[22:21] NYCGavin says:
[22:21] EDGE: What can you tell us about your next single?
[22:22] It's gonna be finished in another few days and we're
going to be giving it
to the radio probably in another 3-4 weeks and it's a new version of
Please.
[22:22] Candy says:
[22:22] Edge:where do you think you'd be if you weren't in
u2 now?
[22:22] Sitting at home.
[22:22] KatrinaD says:
[22:22] EDGE>> will there be anymore songs off future
albums that you
will be singing lead vocals?
[22:22] We actually have a very good singer, so I don't know if
I'll do any more
lead vocals, but maybe.
[22:24] USTAY2 says:
[22:24] What is your most memorable moment of the whole
tour so far?
[22:24] I think the opening night, and realizing that everything
worked and no
one had been killed trying to get out of the lemon and that we'd
remembered all the
songs and that we hadn't had a big argument...
[22:24] *** ^BaadCop^ is now known as A_BadCop_A
[22:24] just that it went so well in the end.
[22:24] godpart3 says:
[22:24] Is the chemistry in the band on a personal and
professional level
still as strong as it was in 1977 or whatever?
[22:24] We're still getting on just as well as we always have and
everyone does
what I say, that's the important thing.
[22:24] RENZO says:
[22:24] Edge- where is the coolest place you've ever been
in your travels
with u2?
[22:24] The coolest place - I've been to a lot of cool places
along the way, it's
hard to say which is the coolest.
[22:24] *** mactire is now known as grommet
[22:25] Currently, Tokyo is somewhere I'm fascinated with because
it's so
different to where I grew up, but it changes, you know, I love
America.
[22:25] The southwest in particular.
[22:25] NYCGavin says:
[22:25] Edge: Will Brian Eno and/or Daniel Lanois be
involved in
producing future U2 albums???
[22:26] *** WoodNymph is now known as Elmira
[22:26] I hope we do end up working with Brian and Danny again
because
they're fantastic to work with.
[22:26] It would depend on what record we were trying to make was
and what
they were doing at the time.
[22:26] Host Kirsten says:
[22:26] have your parents ever been to a show?
[22:26] They tend to come out a couple of times every tour to
have a laugh.
[22:26] Chia_Pet says:
[22:26] Edge: how's it feel to be getting older in a
business that's rough
even when you're young?
[22:26] I still feel like I'm 16 - that's not a problem.
[22:27] Patrick_M says:
[22:27] Mr. THE EDGE: Rumor has it U2 recorded over 30
songs for Pop.
However, only one brand new song has emerged - "Holy Joe" so far on
the B-sides.
What about the other songs? Will they ever hit the surface?
[22:27] Yeah, they definitely will along the way - we have to
finish them first.
[22:27] *** Carmen is now known as TazCJM
[22:27] Wintermute says:
[22:27] Question: Any chance of collaborations with people
like Bjork and
David Bowie?
[22:27] We're always interested in a new collaborator, but
there's no plans to
work with either Bjork or Bowie.
[22:27] Guggi says:
[22:27] Question: any idea who will open up for U2 on the
third leg of the
tour?
[22:28] We're still listening to CD's and seeing who's available.
We can't really
say just yet.
[22:28] Host Kirsten says:
[22:28] what advice do you have for bands just starting
out?
[22:28] Write brilliant songs.
[22:28] salome269 says:
[22:28] edge...what keeps you motivated for performing??
[22:28] Just playing every night with Adam and Larry and Bono and
the fact that
every show is different and every time we play, there are new
discoveries.
[22:29] alison2 says:
[22:29] QUESTION: Edge, why did all of you choose the
Microsoft
network for your website?
[22:29] We wanted to do something that was more ambitious than
most other
websites.
[22:29] To do that, we felt that we needed a partner and
Microsoft Network
seemed like the perfect partner for us to put this together with.
[22:29] USTAY2 says:
[22:29] Question:how do you manage to keep an exceptional
relation ship
within U2 for over 20 years?
[22:29] We met before we were a band, so that helps everything.
[22:30] ParadiseCowgirl says:
[22:30] edge, what's your least favorite thing about
touring?
[22:30] Coming home and having to figure out how to live a
regular life again.
[22:30] metal says:
[22:30] hi edge, im pastry chef at the intercontinental in
helsinki ..did you
get the birthday cake me and steve made for you
[22:30] yes, it was fantastic! Sorry I couldn't bring it with me.
[22:31] VON says:
[22:31] Are U2's tours actually going to get any bigger?
Or are you going
to go back to smaller venues
[22:31] I can't see them getting any bigger...but we haven't
decided what we're
going to do next time.
[22:31] m_doughty says:
[22:31] edge: what bands have you been listening to
lately?
[22:32] All kinds of stuff...I love the Verve's new single...Fun
Loving Criminals,
Nina Simone's early recordings.
[22:32] And one last question....
[22:32] Host Maggie2 says:
huh??
[22:33] Host Maggie2 says:
last quesiton?
[22:33] one more time - Edge - when you look back on your
life with U2
did you ever imagine you'd come this far and stay in the business for
so long?
[22:33] Any last thoughts for us, Edge?
[22:33] Always hoped that we'd be making great music for a few
years, but I
never thought that we'd be still so into it all after being together
for over a dozen years.
We're still aiming to make the perfect record.
[22:33] *** Moirai is now known as Elmira
[22:33] *** [MusIciaN is now known as thanks
[22:33] Stay in touch - hopefully we'll see you along the way
-and thanks for
tuning in.

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Jonathan published on August 10, 1997 9:35 PM.

Excerpts from HOT PRESS magazine interview with Bono was the previous entry in this blog.

Wembley Popmart concert is the next entry in this blog.

Monthly Archives